Tuesday 30 March 2010

Signs of Spring


Spring has many messengers, but for me the chiffchaff is the most powerful both aurally and symbolically. This small LBJ (little brown job to quote birder jargon) makes a huge journey for such a tiny creature. Chiffchaffs winter in southern and western Europe and North Africa. In common with other spring migrants, their arrival is timed to coincide with the rapid increase in their insect food that occurs as temperatures rise and days lengthen.

My chiffchaff gave only a few experimental calls this morning and was definitely out of practice when compared to the robins, wrens and dunnock that were in full song. But perhaps I might be a bit off key if I had just made the same journey using just my own energy and determination. Wikipedia provides a good explanation of the ways of this little warbler.

However, no matter how much I might be thrilled by my chiffchaff, it falls into second place as an unusual experience compared to that relayed to me by my wife last week. Sitting behind my desk, churning through emails and papers, I was amazed to hear from Margaret that she had seen a water rail foraging on the ground under our bird feeders!


From
Encyclopedia Britannica:

The water rail (Rallus aquaticus) is a slender marsh bird of the family Rallidae (order Gruiformes), native to most of Europe and Asia. Its length is about 28 cm (11 inches), and it has a moderately long beak. The sides of the bird have black and white bands. The name water rail also is used as a general term for the larger group, or tribe, to which R. aquaticus belongs. Rallus aquaticus can be distinguished from the tribe Rallini by its relatively long beak.

Working for a Wildlife Trust, the proud manager of four fantastic square miles of Gloucestershire, does not mean that I either have the time to visit these 60 nature reserves or be successful in spotting the shy or rare residents. My local patch is where I get the most pleasure from wildlife sightings. Margaret’s water rail was only 100 meters from my chiffchaff. The area is an overgrown field with brambles, hedgerow trees, two fantatstic oaks and the clean and sparkling River Cam. This emphasises the real value of green sites in towns and villages. Nature reserves are important but they are part of the rich mosaic of sites that are critical if wildlife is to survive and people are to benefit spiritually from experiencing it.

Oh and I am still envious of Margaret’s bird – I have never seen one!

No comments: